Sunday, June 7, 2020

Vivat vs Vivant



Hello, my fellow AEthelmartians.  And any Easterners who might read this.


I am Baron Caleb and I would like to take a moment to point out the difference between "Vivat" and Vivant". There appears to be some confusion as to what is the official cheer of our fair Kingdom. Vivat is Latin and it loosely translates to "he lives." Generally accepted as a cry wishing someone long life and prosperity. But because it's Latin, we can't have just one word.

Vivo: "I live".
Vivi: "We live".
Vavat: "That person lives".
Vivant: "Those people live".
Vivet: "That person lives, sometime in the future, but not right now."
Vivent: "Those people live, sometime in the future, but not right now."

And, of course, there are passive voice versions of them as well, in addition to feminine derivations and personal and impersonal conjugations, and.... Look, this is why Rome conquered so much territory: They sent in teachers, first, to teach the natives Latin. then the Legions marched in, but no one could figure out how to correctly say "go home" in Latin. "I go to my home!" No, wait, "That person there, go to my home!" No, wait. "That person there go to your home." Hang on. "All of you people, now, go to your homes, in the future." Screw it, I give up. Just stay.

In any case. for AEthelmearc: Vivat for one person. Vivant for more than one person.


Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment