Sunday, May 1, 2016

First sheet of pergamenata

I don't know if I like this stuff.



Here is my first, major, usage of pergamenata that I knocked out today instead of doing anything more productive. I'm about half way done and I don't know if I like the stuff or not. The gauche that I use is pooling on the surface of the material instead of soaking into it, like it does on cotton paper. This is giving me grief: on paper, I use thin coats of paint, building the shading layer by layer. With the pergamenata, the first coat dries, and then undries when the second coat is applied, giving me two wet coats of paint that move around like watercolors instead of gauche. 

The yellow of the dragon looks nice, but the black, green and the blue are very blotchy, even after four coats. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is entirely the fault of the pergamenta (or, rather, my technique) or the fact that put a drop of gum arabic into the gauche. I've never used gum arabic before and it was suggested to me that a drop would help on the pergamenta. 

I don't know. I'll finish this one and see how others feel about it. I have nine more sheets to experiment with: 18 if I cut them in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment