Sunday, September 10, 2023

Progression part 2

Another progression comparison. 



The image on the left is my scroll #33 from 2012. The one on the right is scroll #511 finished up today. Same source material but better paper, better paint, more practice and a greater idea of what I am doing. In the last 11 years I have sat in on I don't know how many classes on illumination and spoke with as many scribes as I could about technique and process. I have learned to use less paint but to use the paint more efficiently. Using multiple layers of paint to build up the shading rather than slopping on a thick layer and using black ink to make shadows. Now I put more layers of paint where I want the shadows. My white work was non-existent way back then and now I have a clue of how to use white paint and ink to bring out the high lights. I am going through my early work and re-doing the images that I used period sources to show myself that I have indeed learned something and to help me pin point the areas that I need more instruction and practice. This past couple of weeks I learned how much of a difference a couple of drops of ox gall can make on persnickety paint.

I highly recommend keeping notes on what materials you use and what classes you take. And keep good quality pictures of your work so that you can see your progression. 

Both are inspired by the 12th century English Psalter MS G.43 fol. 102r.


No comments:

Post a Comment