Friday, November 26, 2021

Not my best work, but it's done

 Not my best work, but it's done.


I'm not terribly happy with this, but at least it is done. I don't know if I will use it for someone, or let it sit in my big book of scroll blanks. This is based on Yates Thompson 12  f. 204. I've been working on this off and on for the last six months. It never really clicked for me. The soldiers look goofy. The original background was blue and I didn't like how it turned out; so, I painted it gold. The white work didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. I had to paint over the corners several times and start over. 

But it is done. 

I am happy that I completed it, even though I can only see the flaws and failed potential. 

The last two years has not been good for my scribal work. With the pandemic, and the lack of events, there hasn't been an overwhelming need for dozens of scrolls. I've done my share of scrolls for the few events we've had, and some back-logs as well, but the scroll factory was definitely put on hiatus. Looking back, I've only completed eight scrolls this year and put calligraphy of two that I had finished last year. Instead of working on four or five scrolls at a time, I've only worked on one at a time. And I think that my quality has slipped. 

With hope, now that events are gearing up, again, more opportunities for scrolls will become available and I will get myself back into scribal shape. 

I have a few that need to be inked and painted and one, that's starring at me right now, that needs just a little bit more paint before I can call it complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment