Friday, March 16, 2018

Vikings in Canada, part 2

More notes on my trip to the ROM

Silver broach pins, about 3 inches long: from the previous post. Here is a clearer image of the detail work. The detail is so fine, it can't really be seen except up close. Why is it that so many people think that "barbarians" only destroyed? This was the main theme of the exhibit: the arts and crafts of the Norse.



A small box, about 3 inches in diameter. Silver and gold. Look at the knotwork. That is the nice thing about camera phones, a 14Mp camera can pick up a lot of detail: more than one's eye can see from a few inches away from the object.


A spear head. The wooden shaft long since rotted away. Just a little touch of art behind the blade. It serves no purpose towards the use of the spear (except maybe to identify it as belonging to one person if it is thrown or dropped in combat). 


A small, silver cross; about 2 inches in diameter. I don't plan on posted every picture I took, just a selection. I've been in the SCA for some 35 years and I've seen my share of mass produced and hand made copies of similar items, but to be able to press my nose against the glass mere inches away from actual artifacts made me feel like a 5 year old. And speaking of 5 year olds: my inner 5 year old was allowed to run free in the dinosaur wing.



No comments:

Post a Comment