Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Six Years later

I Think That I Have Learned a Thing or Two


Coming up on the end of the year, I finished scroll number 356, this past weekend. This was the second time I've made this design. The first (on the left), I completed in 2011. It was scroll number 14. I think that I have learned a few things about illumination.

1) I am now using better paint. #14 was made with Savoir Faire gouache from Hyatts. I currently use Reeves, Holbein and Windsor Newton gouache.

2) I use less paint. Instead of slapping the paint on the paper, trying to cover every square inch, my current method is to use very thin coats to give an even final appearance. The result is a much brighter final product free of blotching.

3) I have learned how to do proper shading. See this post for more details, if you are interested.

4) I have learned to make the scroll to look nice both up close and when it is held up in court. Scrolls should be a feast for the eyes from all distances.

5) My whitework has improved over 342 scrolls. Whitework should be used to enhance the image, not distract from it.

6) I have practiced. And practiced. And practiced. Not only have I done 356 scrolls, but I have filled several sketchbooks with doodles and color experiments. All scribes should continually strive to improve their skills. Cheap bristol paper is a great way to do that: doodle a shape or a border and try out new paint or a new brush. I have discovered that I prefer small, flat brushes for most of my scroll work and thin, pointed brushes for any really fine work.

7) I have talked with other scribes, and sat in on workshops, and asked for, and received, criticism. This has helped be become a better scribe. I suppose that really, really, really talented scribes can work in a vacuum, but I could not. When I made scroll number 14, I had thought that it was a great piece of art. I look at it now and all I see are flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment