Thursday, March 9, 2017

Another Three Scrolls completed

And Some Retrospective


Another trio of scrolls illuminated. One of these is for an assignment for {THAT PERSON THAT YOU LIKE} and the other two were to keep the first from getting lonely. See, I have a theory. Not a great theory but it's mine. If you work on only one scroll, it will take a long time 'cause the scroll is lonely and doesn't want to be finished. If you work on several at the same time, they all become friends and encourage you to finish them so that they can hang out, together, in your scroll case. Without you. Because they hate you and don't want to be around you.

Like I said; not a great theory. I finished up these three while watching Stranger Things. Wow. Great show. I kept getting distracted. In both directions: the painting distracted me from the show and the show distracted me from the painting.

 All three were designs that I've done before. I just pulled the print outs out of an envelope and traced them. One of them I did way back in 2012, when I thought I knew what I was doing.
This was scroll 93: The 43rd scroll for my second A&S 50 challenge. In 20/20 hind sight, I really did not know what I was doing. Oh, I am not saying that I know everything, now, about how to do illumination. Far from it. But now I know enough to identify my flaws. And, man, are there lots of flaws.
In the old scroll, I just slapped paint everywhere. In the new scroll (number 314) I used a fraction of the pigment I had used on the first one, and I was careful as to where I put it. Although, I think the diapering on the old one looks better: I kind of rushed it on the new one and the crosses look sloppy. But I have improved my whitework and my shading is better. At this rate, I should be an expert in another ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment