Thursday, April 28, 2016

The first rule of Scribal Club

The first rule of Scribal Club is that we do not talk about who our assignments are for.


The second rule of Scribal Club is that we start our assignments weeks in advance so that we have time to fix any problems.

The third rule of Scribal Club is that we do not complain when the wordsmith goes overboard and presents you with elebenty billion words to squeeze into a 2x4" space. Particularly when you are your own wordsmith.

I knocked out three scrolls, this evening and boy, does my hand hurt. Obviously I was gripping the pen way too hard: one of my many bad habits of writing. The picture, above, shows the one scroll where I don't mind showing off the text: it is for the Hael chiv. champion. I do like word wrapping the text around the image elements, but, in retrospect, I should have put the blank space for the name at the top of the scroll. Oh, well. Perhaps I can convince our B&B to pick a champion with a name no longer than three inches.

Today, I received a package from John Neal Booksellers: a ten pack of pergamenata. I have an idea for a project for next year's Ice Dragon Pentathalon and I want to spend some time working with pergamenta before I do the scroll. Yes, I think it's time that I, once again, enter the full Pentathlon. I plan on a scroll, a beverage, a baked good, a research paper and I plan on teaching myself to make my own sugar. How hard could it be? If plants can do it, I can figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment