Friday, July 29, 2016

Number 300 is half way done.

It's the mile markers that you look forward to.



"To the shades of the dead. Insus son of Vodullus, citizen of the Treveri, cavalryman of the Ala Augusta, troop of Victor, curator. Domitia his heir had this set up." These are the words inscribed on a Roman tombstone found in 2005 in Lancaster. This was quoted in the latest edition of Ancient Warfare (Vol X, Issue 2). I never thought about looking through Roman tombstones and steele for scroll wording: if I'm ever assigned a scroll for a Roman, I will definitely have to do some research.

Perhaps, I could use the above scroll, which would be my 300th since I started the A&S 50 challenge in 2011. It needs another couple of coats of red/orange and black, at least to make it look even. I don't plan on any other colors. I'm planning on keeping the shield empty so that I have some flexibility of use: a Golden Alce; a Gage, a Chiv. writ or even an assignment for another Kingdom. The image is from a 5th Century serving plate depicting a Spartan fighting a Persian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment