Sunday, July 31, 2016

Almost There

Another Hour of Work and Number 300 Will Be Done.


I had thought that I had made a big mistake when I started putting down the red-orange gouache but, now that I've put three layers of it on, it looks nice. The first coat was far too bright for what I wanted. Because of the way the paint was sitting on top of the pergamenta, the water in the red-orange was pulling some of the black gouache. Not enough to ruin the lighter color, but enough to darken it slightly around the edges.

I need to touch up some of the edges and corners, and then I have to re-ink the lines, and then number 300 will be done. I do not have a scroll assignment for this one, but I did contact Baroness Alex and called dibs on the next martial award for someone with a Greek or Roman personae. I might have to farm out the calligraphy to someone who can wield a pen better than myself: I have had issues with writing on pergamenta. I think that I will cut one of my remaining sheets in half and just practice with a variety of nibs and inks. With all of the work I spent on making this guy, I really, really, really really do not want to screw up the calligraphy

Now that I'm looking at the picture of the scroll-to-be, it kind of looks like a CD or a DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment