Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A boy's best friend is his mother.


Okay, one last post about this backlog scroll. It is done... At least the illumination is done. I ran into my usual "this look awful, why am I even bothering doing it" mental roadblock. But, now that it is finished, It does look nice... Although I can clearly see that my diapering isn't the most even I've done. And I can see that I forgot to add the details to the Gage device. I'll have to fix that when I get home. 

The scroll is Arches 100% cotton, 9x12", 140# hot-press watercolor paper. As I've written before: I prefer getting the blocks of paper over loose sheets. I used Reeves gouache for the colors and Holbein for the gold.

This image is inspired by the Grandes Chroniques de France (Français 2813, fol. 399bis, Conseil présidé par Charles V le Sage) and is the second time I've done this image.


Here is the previous scroll, done four years ago. As you can see, my skills have improved. I'm using better paint. My shading is better. My whitework has much improved. And I learned how to diaper. Diaper on paper, not on babies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment