Thursday, August 29, 2019

I was not prepared for this

Seriously, this took me by surprise.


At Summer's End, this past weekend, I was sand bagged by my friends. Twice. 

First, I was inducted into our Baronial order for courtesy, the Noble Union of Lords and Ladies. Courtesy. Me. What were they thinking. Our Baron and Baroness did tell me some nice words about how I am an example to others... And not in a bad way. I was, and still am, very touched by the induction. 

Secondly, this scroll. This scroll hit me like a dead fish in the face. 

Now, let me say that it is lovely. It is my friend Bobby's first piece of illumination and I am honored to be the recipient of his first work. The key thing here is that this is partially my scroll. 

I had this scroll penciled and half inked when I gave up on it. As I have posted in past blogs, I hate doing knotwork. I had given up on this piece and it was sitting in my scroll case for a few years. Bobby, after 30 some odd years in the SCA, had decided to take up illumination. At a scribal meeting he was looking through some illumination books looking for something at his skill level. I pulled out this half-finished blank, handed it to him telling him, "Here, you can finish this one. Don't worry if you screw it up, it's just for practice."

A couple of months later, at the event, the herald read off the names of the scribes, and I was confused. I said, "I don't think that's one of mine. I don't do Celtic knot..... Son of a bitch! That is one of mine." And that wasn't my inside voice.

430 scrolls into my illumination career and I finally got one of  them back. And I'm pleased as punch to help out a novice scribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment