Saturday, July 28, 2018

Pennsic Project

It'll keep me out of trouble while everyone is at War.

Since I'm not going to Pennsic, this year, I need to do something for my Kingdom. I found an online resource for some nice, high-res images of a manuscript. This is BM - ms. 0255, f. 248 and it will be a Keystone [1] scroll for {THAT PERSON YOU LIKE}.

Now, I would put the original image in my bucket of Things You Shouldn't Put On an SCA Scroll. The dude is holding up a giant... rooster. I think we should avoid holding up a giant... rooster in court. Or, sending the less than subtle message to someone that they are a giant.... rooster.

But, it will make the foundation of a nice award scroll. As I mention in my Fields Medal winning blog post How To Adapt an Illumination [2] one can take almost any image, scoop out the elements we don't want, and add in something we can use for our hobby.

I'm using this for a Keystone for two reasons. The first is the same as I mentioned in the above mentioned blog post: I like the sight of the dude is doing service by shouldering a heavy keystone. And the second is that this manuscript is loaded with images that can be be readily adapted to a Sycamore [4] or a Golden Alce [5].

I plan on doing several scrolls based on this manuscript. I did one page and I liked how it turned out and think that I can make some people happy.





[1] A Keystone is AEthelmearc's AoA level award for service.
[2] The Fields Medal is for math, not blog posts [3]
[3] How long will Caleb keep using this stupid joke?
[4] AoA level award for A&S.
[5] AoA level award for martial prowess.

No comments:

Post a Comment