Saturday, November 30, 2013

Two new scrolls

I spent the day in Rising Waters. They held an A&S Scroll Day. I managed to complete two more scrolls for my 3rd A&S 50 Challenge (scrolls 147 and 148).



Both scrolls were made on Arches 100% cotton, 140# hot-press watercolor paper. I prefer getting the blocks of paper over loose sheets. The scrolls are 9x12". I use gouache: Reeves for colors and Holbein for the gold.


I used a lightbox to trace the images, then inked over the pencil lines. One the ink dried, I erased the graphite. I like to start with the gold paint: it tends to cover other colors. So, I put a heavy coat of gold down before I use any other color.


Once the gold had dried, I started with the other colors: red and green in the case of the 'S'. I had wanted this to be a simple image; one that could be completed in a few hours (and it was). The scrolls are for Rising Waters's scroll blank collection, which, I was told, was practically empty. 

Since these were done, not only at someone else house, but in another country, as well, I was unable to scan them. I tool pictures with my phone. Higher resolution images can be found at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/calebreynolds/11142307003/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/calebreynolds/11142121035/.

No comments:

Post a Comment