Monday, November 26, 2018

A Scrub-a-Dub-Dub

A Little 12V Elbow Grease.

As steward for the Barony of the Rhydderich Hael, I have to, on occasion fix things. The Hael has a number of kitchen related items and sometimes you find something that the Barony can use but aren't up to snuff.

My predecessor, the late Joe the Just, had acquired these four fry pans. They were rusty but, potentially, usable. Fixing them has been on my list of things to do for a while and I finally got around to it, tonight. 

The pans are high carbon steel and just needed a bit of scrubby-scrubby. I attached a wire brush to my cordless drill and went to town on the rust. A good ten minutes on each pan and the rust went away. 


Once the rust had been removed, I hand washed each pan and then coated in a thin layer of canola oil. Then I heated each pan until the oil started to smoke and burn.


Once they cooled off, I applied another thin coat of oil. Now they are slightly cured and ready to be used. As long as they are not put away wet, they shouldn't rust up, again. And, as they are used, they will develop and better and stronger cure. 

Not bad for an hour's work. I feel good that they cleaned up so well. I think Joe spent $5 for all four because of the rust. A good investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment