Saturday, December 16, 2017

It is finally done.

It Is Finally Completed

This scroll only took three years to complete. Three years. "What the hell?" I hear at least one of you readers say. "What took so long?" I also hear. I had originally planned on doing knotwork (I pulled this design from a Dover Celtic Designs coloring book), but, as I have written at least four times; I hate doing knotwork. I had started the pencil sketch some three years ago, got frustrated, and put it aside. Pulled it out later, got frustrated, again, and put it aside. And do on.

A few weeks ago, I pulled it out of my Big Book of Scroll Blanks (tm), erased all of the knotwork, inked it, and started painting it. I hate knotwork, but I do like making lines. With three colors and white lines, in only six hours, or so, I finished the scroll.

My point is, by scribal friends (all 5 of you), if you are stuck on a scroll that you do not like working on, don't work on it. If it is still in the pencil stage, erase and do something else. If you have started to paint it, either paint over it or ask another scribe to finish it for you. Don't kill yourself doing something you hate. If you hate doing a particular style of illumination, don't do it. You will eventually hate doing all scribal work. Work on the styles that you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment