Sunday, December 8, 2013

Oh, nose!


I made a mistake. The above scroll was listed as my 106th scroll for my second A&S 50 challenge. This is incorrect. The scroll was mostly done by Mistress Ekaterina Volkova. Mostly, meaning 95% of the work was by her. She had made a mistake on the dragon and asked if I could fix it and finish up the scroll. She had filled in the space between the wings of the drollery. I scraped the paint away and finished up the figure. Then I finished up the vines and added the white work as well as inking around all objects.

So, since I can only claim an assist for this scroll blank, I can't count it towards my challenge. I re-sized the image and printed it out so that it would fit on a 9x12" sheet.



It's not an exact copy: I made a few changes: such as removing the inner leaves from the bottom of the border. I figure that that will give me (or another calligrapher) will have another 1/4" of space to write. I am planning on using similar colors, only the vines have to be green. Well, they do. You can paint them anyway you wish, but I'll stick to green. Also, I don't know about Ekat's partially colored leaves: they look unfinished.

I really love the way these scrolls turn out: I just hate doing them. All of them leaves and vines. First you have to pencil them in, then ink over them. Then paint them, then re-ink them. So many fiddly bits! Well, here is the scroll with first layer of gold paint on it.


The completed scroll can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/calebreynolds/11300872203/

No comments:

Post a Comment